Central Area Committee

Central Area Committee
Meeting 13th October 2009

Motion in the name of Councillor Cieran Perry

That this Area Committee requests an independent Chairperson to chair the Phibsboro Local Area Plan Monitoring Committee to ensure that this body is not politicised.

Report

The proposal circulated at the July Central Area Committee meeting and discussed again at the September meeting set out draft terms of reference for Plan Monitoring Committees for Local Area Plans. Reference is made in that document to the position of Chair under item 3(b) wherein it is proposed that the Chairperson should be a City Councillor. This matter is again on the agenda for todays meeting and it is a matter for the members of the Committee to ratify or amend the draft terms of reference (including item 3(b)).

 

Central Area Committee
Meeting 13th October 2009

Q32 Councillor Cieran Perry

Can the Manager confirm that Dublin City Council, in conjunction with the Gardai, will prosecute those identified on CCTV as being responsible for the trespass and damage to the Parkside Community Centre, Cabra.on Saturday 12th September.

Reply:

This matter has been referred to An Garda Siochana for investigation and a report.

Central Area Committee
Meeting 13th October 2009

Q33 Councillor Cieran Perry

To ask the City Manager what amount of money did Dublin City Council contribute to the erection of the security gates at The 17 shops on the New Cabra Road.

Reply:

The gates were funded by contributions from shop owners that back on to this laneway. Dublin City Council in its capacity as an occupier of one of the shop units makes an equal contribution to the erection and maintenance of the gates along with the other contributing shop owners.

Central Area Committee
Meeting 13th October 2009

Q34 Councillor Cieran Perry

To ask the City Manager if Dublin City Council will contribute to the cost of the erection of security gates at the shops on Fassaugh Avenue by matching any contribution from the local community in light of the serious anti-social behaviour taking place at this location.

Reply:

Due to lack of resources Dublin City Council is not in a position to contribute towards these gates nor is it normally our policy to do so in situation where the request is initiated by local residents.

Central Area Committee
Meeting 13th October 2009

Q35 Councillor Cieran Perry

To ask the City Manager to apply a Compulsory Purchase Order to the derelict houses nos. 19 & 21 Connaught Street .Dublin City Council have been unable to discover the owners of these properties.

Reply:

Dublin City Council does not propose to compulsorily acquire 19 and 21 Connaught Street at present. However, the Reference Section of the Law Department is continuing its endeavours to establish the contact details of the owners. Both sites are on the Derelict Sites Register and are subject to a levy from 1st January 2010.

Central Area Committee
Meeting 13th October 2009

Q36 Councillor Cieran Perry

To ask the City Manager to instruct the Litter Wardens to issue letters to all businesses in the Cabra & Navan Road area, including the Dublin Industrial Estate, warning them of the legal consequences of allowing materials from their properties to be used in illegal bonfires. A request to secure their premises should also be included in this letter.

Reply:

Arrangements have been made to have the Litter Wardens deliver such a letter to all businesses in the Cabra & Navan Road area, including the Dublin Industrial Estate, in the coming days. The Litter Wardens will patrol this area to ensure that these businesses adhere to this warning.

Central Area Committee
Meeting 13th October 2009

Q37 Councillor Cieran Perry

To ask the City Manager to provide funding to ensure that the Ventry Park Community Centre remains open in light of their current financial difficulties.

Reply:

Ventry Park Recreation Centre is one of 11 Citywide Recreation Centres that provide multiple community supports / services on a six / seven day basis.
Funding has been earmarked in the provisional estimates to date, to maintain the existing services throughout 2010.

Central Area Committee
Meeting 13th October 2009

Q38 Councillor Cieran Perry

To ask the City Manager to organise the setting up of a landlord search database to enable recognized Residents Associations track errant landlords in conjunction with Dublin City Council.

Reply:

The registration of Private Rented Dwellings is the responsibility of the Private Residential Tenancies Board. Access to their register is provided to the local authorities purely in respect of the legislation concerning the standards in private rented accommodations. Information obtained by the City Council during an inspection of private rented housing is used to enforce legislation in relation to standards as set out above. Dublin City Council may only release information where it is legally entitled to do so and must at all times comply with Freedom of Information and Data Protection Legislation. Therefore it would not be possible to provide such a database. However, where any individual is aware of breaches of standards in Private Rented Accommodations the Environmental Health Section, Block 3 Floor 1, Civic Offices should be informed in order that action can be taken.

Central Area Committee
Meeting 13th October 2009

Q39 Councillor Cieran Perry

To ask the City Manager to enter into pre-planning discussions with the Catholic Institute for Deaf People to recommend the re-alignment of the bend at the new proposed entrance and roundabout on the Ratoath Road in relation to the planned St. Joseph’s development.

Reply:

Pre planning discussions have taken place with regards to a new entrance for the School for the Deaf onto Ratoath Road. However DCC Roads and Traffic have not yet received a final design for any proposal.

Central Area Committee
Meeting 13th October 2009

Q40 Councillor Cieran Perry

To ask the City Manager is he aware that residents in the North Inner City who do not have green bins use green bags for their recyclable waste. The delivery of bags has not taken place for some considerable time and bags are not available at the recycling centres as was previously the case. What has caused this interruption in the service, and what steps have been take to remedy this and ensure no repeat.

Reply:

Our Administrative Officer, Mr Hugh Coughlan, will take this matter up with the management of Greyhound Recycling and report back to the councillor when the information is available.

Central Area Committee
Meeting 13th October 2009

Q41 Councillor Cieran Perry

To ask the City Manager that in relation to complaints about anti social behaviour in the East Wall area (a) can the City Manager outline the procedure for complaints, and how these complaints are acted upon? (b) Gardai are dealing with persistent offenders living in city council properties, is there any mechanism for the Gardai to bring this to the attention of Dublin City Council? (c) Area Managers and Gardai regularly attend meetings with residents where issues relating to anti-social behaviour are discussed, do Dublin City Council investigate tenants based on these forums, or will action only result from individual complaints?

Reply:

The Area Housing Manager reports the following:

(a) If any person is the victim of violence, harassment, threats or intimidation, or of any behaviour by a city council tenant or a member of their household, which puts you in fear or danger or causes you to suffer injury or damage, a complaint should be made to your Local Area Office either by telephone or calling to the office. In some cases the complainant will be asked to go along to the Local Area Office so that a detailed record of your complaint can be made to the relevant Estate Manager/Area Housing Manager.

(b) There is regular information sharing between An Garda Siochana and city council staff on persistent offenders who are the source of anti social behaviour in the community. Dublin City Council can request information officially from the Gardai through Section 15, Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 1997.

(c) Any complaint received by Dublin City Council in relation to our tenancies is investigated and should action be warranted then the appropriate action is taken. It can be the case that at Forum meetings the city council will take the complaint but may then need to speak to the individual making the complaint outside of the Forum meeting.